The objectives of the APF are expressed in the following extract from the
Rules of Incorporation.
3 - OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
- To protect the privacy rights of Australians, by means of research, awareness,
education, the highlighting of privacy risks in all forms of technology and
practices, and campaigns for new laws, regulations, codes, policies and practices,
and amendments to existing laws, regulations, codes, policies and practices.
- To focus public attention on emerging issues and technologies that pose
a threat to the freedom and privacy of Australians.
- To collaborate with consumer organisations, civil liberties councils, professional
associations and other community groups on specific privacy issues.
- To participate in and contribute to other national and to international
privacy protection organisations and initiatives.
- To provide information to corporations, associations and government agencies,
and to cooperate with them wherever practicable, but to remain independent
of them, and to be critical of them where necessary.
- To pursue such additional objects and purposes as may facilitate the achievement
of the preceding objects and purposes.